Lemon, Raspberry & Chia Seed Cake with Lemon Syrup, Raspberry Chia Jam and Vanilla Mascarpone.
Juliet Greer, Monday Cakes
For the Cake
- 170g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 3 large lemons
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- A pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
- ¼ cup milk
- 1½ cups raspberries, frozen or fresh
For the Syrup
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
For the Raspberry Chia Jam
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds + 2 tbspn water
- 1 cup raspberries, frozen or fresh
- 2 tbsp Honey
For the Vanilla Mascarpone
- ¾ cup mascarpone
- ¾ cup fresh cream
- ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
To make the Lemon, Raspberry & Chia Seed Cake
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan bake.
- Grease and line the base and sides of two 7 inch diameter round cake tins with baking paper.
- Using an electric stand mixer (or electric hand beaters) cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Add the Chia Seeds, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt to the creamed mixture and mix to combine.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition to make sure each egg is well combined before adding the next egg.
- Sift the self-raising flour in a separate bowl and measure out ¼ cup of milk.
- Fold half of the flour into the creamed mixture, and then fold in half of the milk.
- Repeat to fold the remaining flour, and then fold the milk into the mix.
- Fold half of the raspberries into the mixture, working quickly to ensure the berries stay whole and the colour doesn’t spread through the cake mix.
- Split the mixture in half – pour half of the mixture into one cake tin and level the mixture in the tin; the pour the remaining half into the other cake tin and level. Sprinkle the tops of both the cakes with the remaining raspberries and push the raspberries into the cake mix.
- Bake the cakes for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
To make the lemon syrup
When the cake is nearly cooked prepare the syrup.
- To make the syrup, place the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan, stir together, and heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Once the sugar is dissolved and the cakes are cooked and out of the oven pour the syrup evenly over the 2 cakes.
- Leave the cakes to cool in their tins; and turn on to a wire rack when cool.
To make the Chia Seed Raspberry Jam
- Soak the Chia Seeds in the water for 10 minutes. The Seeds will swell rapidly in size and the mixture will become quite jelly-like.
- Place the soaked Chia Seeds, raspberries and honey in a blender and pulse until combined. The jam is now ready to be used, and can be stored in a glass jar in the fridge.
To make the Vanilla Mascarpone
- Using an electric stand beater with a whisk attachment, (or hand held electric beaters), beat the cream and mascarpone until soft peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract and sifted icing sugar, continue to whisk until a stiff consistency is reached.
- Place one of the cakes on a plate or a cardboard cake board.
- Place half of the vanilla mascarpone on the cake and spread evenly, top with half of the Raspberry Chia Seed Jam.
- Place the second cake on top of the first cake and repeat to spread the remaining mascarpone and then chia jam.
- Decorate with raspberries (fresh, or freeze dried), lemon zest and edible flowers.
- Eat and enjoy.
- Note if you wish you can use a piping bag fitted with a basic circle tip to pipe the mascarpone onto the cake for decorative purposes.
from Juliet Greer and the team at CHIA.